Monday, August 26, 2013

Million People March

Everyone who knew I was going to Luneta told me to beware of pickpockets. Funny how pickpockets were the exact reason why I went in the first place. But I'm not talking about the small ones who target your not-so-smart phones and flashy thingamajigs. I came in protest of the biggest and most brilliant pickpockets--those who dare steal from our third world country.

Having graduated from a science high school and a state university, I am fully aware that the Filipino taxpayers literally paid for the good quality education I was privileged with. So I vowed to never complain about paying taxes--the government can take as much as it warrants. However, let it be known, that I'm paying my taxes (I know it isn't much as of now) NOT for the GOVERNMENT but for the PEOPLE, the government pledged to be of service of.

May I just clarify, however, that I am not totally against PDAF. I've witnessed first hand how the pork barrel helped a considerable number of lives and local communities. PDAF paved the way for numerous scholarships, subsidized health care expenses, opened job opportunities, and funded a measure of programs for the youth, the elderly and a number other minorities. How could I be against that which made progress possible for a considerable some of us. I am NOT AGAINST PDAF. I AM AGAINST THE MISUSE OF IT.

The great Ninoy Aquino once said "The Filipinos are worth dying for". I say, in our modern age, we don't need men who are willing to die for us. We need great men who will live for our race and our country. Today, in the Million People March, we lived. And I couldn't have been prouder.



My first stop in my Million People March journey. A group of men were playing native musical instruments to catch the crowd's attention and lead them here. I promised myself to come back and read but when I did, they were gone :(







I tried to absorb as much brilliance from everyone who came to share their two cents worth. I still think that I'm mostly a better listener than a storyteller. Besides, there were far too many voices wanting to be heard.















He stood in silent protest and yet the passersby were all ears.



And somewhere in the midst of the chaos, an old lady found her refuge. 


***
It was a beautiful day in Luneta. Oh Rizal, if you've been watching from above, you would have been so damn proud. Remember the youth that you were so hopeful of? They're in ACTION, NOW.

It was a beautiful day in Luneta. Regardless of the gloomy skies and the muddy path, my 100% Pinoy heart found a place that is WARM and BRIGHT.

It was a beautiful day in Luneta. I scrapped my itinerary for the day and spent it listening to a multitude of crowds who went to share their two cents worth. Everywhere, there were a thousand stories waiting to be told. I came and stayed because it was a beautiful day in Luneta and I know in my heart, there is no other place I'd rather be.

Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...